top of page


The semi final took place on Sunday afternoon in Killeagh. A tight match was anticipated and with only 20 minutes being played per half the girls new they had to be ready to compete from the very first whistle. From the off the sides were very evenly matched and the sliotar travelled up and down the pitch in equal measure. Killeagh won a free 40M out and from the resulting strike found the back of the net to open the scoring. With Alicia Olaniran doing trojan work in mid field it wasn't long before Castlemartyr created a scoring chance of their own. Again from a free, expertly taken by Aisling Harty, Zara Bowles connected with the ball sending it goalwards forcing Killeagh's goalkeeper into making a fine save diverting the ball over the bar for a point. The home side responded quickly with their first point before more excellent work from Zara and Alicia created a chance for Clodagh Mulhare who, after a goal mouth scramble, found the back of the net with her shot to score Castlemartyr's first goal. Killeagh went on to score another point from a free and just before the half time whistle again raised the green flag to leave Castlemartyr trailing by a goal and a point at the break. With a couple of changes to the Castlemartyr line up the game resumed. Castlemartyr started brightly with Caoilfhionn Barry and Grainne Lynch stamping their authority on the game. An early point from Castlemartyr was followed by a pair from Killeagh before Aisling stepped up and slotted over her first point from a free. As the game entered the final stages Castlemartyr won a free within striking distance of goal. Aisling again took the responsibility and sent in a low direct shot which found its way through a maze of defenders to rattle the net and leave her team trailing by a solitary point. With Kelsie Asamoah doing her usual stalwart job in midfield and providing great ball to Clodagh and Zara the pressure mounted on Killeagh's goal. As a result a 45 was awarded and Aisling, unnerved sent the sliotar between the posts to draw the game. The final whistle blew and after a short rest, extra time of 5 minutes a half began. As spectators set their timers and shouted encouragement to the girls the ball was thrown in and from the off both sides worked hard to get the upper hand. Again the play moved up and down the pitch and scoring chances were curtailed with good defensive work from both sides. A point from Aisling was to be the only score in the first half. The teams switched sides and began the second half immediately. Killeagh upped their attacking efforts and won a succession of frees in very scoreable positions. A few of their efforts went awry but eventually they were rewarded with a point. Castlemartyr defenders dealt with the pressure well and Killeagh had three 45s awarded in succession. As the contest was in the final minute, Killeagh sent in a probing ball and even with the valiant efforts of the defenders the ball found the top corner of the net to leave the hosts leading by a goal. From the resulting puck out Castlemartyr won the ball and were on the attack again but alas it was not meant to be as the final whistle sounded. Final score after extra time Killeagh 03 - 05 Castlemartyr 02 - 05 A fantastic team performance from all the girls who gave everything the had on the day. To play three hard matches in the space of 24 hours and to come so close to making the final of Féile is a huge achievement and every body involved with the team from players, coaches, mentors and parents should feel immensely proud of the achievement. Full team Ellie McKenzie, Haley McKenzie, Sadhbh Beausang, Lucy Horgan, Caoilfhionn Barry, Aisling Harty, Gráinne Lynch, Zara Bowles, Alicia Olaniran, Cara Deane, Lilly McElhinney, Mia Burke, Aimee Morgan, Tara Crotty, Kelsie Asamoah, Meadhbh McCarthy & Faye McGrath.

bottom of page